Top 12 Tips for Avoiding Dry Hair This Winter
The seasonal change to winter usually brings up thoughts of brisk winds, freshly fallen snow, and holiday cheer — all wonderful things. One not so wonderful part of winter is the pain that it can inflict on our hair. Since the winter months can be really harsh on your locks you should have a different hair care routine when it’s cold. Dry hair can become an issue during the winter for those who don’t normally have to deal with it. Even if you don’t live in an area where blistering winter winds are a problem, you could still benefit switching up your routine as temperatures begin to dip. No matter how low the thermostat drops where you are we have you covered. We’ve gathered our best tips to avoid dry hair and damage during the winter.
Winter Hair Care Tips
- Nutrition – avoid dry hair during the winter by making sure that you are feeding your hair from the inside. Fill up on protein rich foods or even better – add HAIRFINITY Healthy Hair Vitamins to your routine. They will give your hair a boost of vitamins and other good stuff you need to keep your hair beautiful even when all you want is to stay indoors.
- Keep it covered – covering your hair with a cute hat is a great first step at protecting hair from winter elements. Avoid “hat hair” and frizz by wrapping your hair with a silk scarf before you put on that beanie or wool cap.
- Deep Condition – nothing restores hydration and fortifies your hair quite like deep conditioning. To avoid having dry hair during the winter up your deep conditionings to once a week (unless you’re there already). If you have dry hair try incorporating a protein treatment to keep your locks strong and healthy.
- Less washing – it may seem counter-intuitive to wash less and deep condition more, but too much washing could cause dry hair without you realizing it. However, using a gentle cleansing product, like Essentious Hair Care, will leave your hair clean without stripping much needed moisture. When you do wash your hair avoid hot water. Hot water will dry hair and make managing your hair during winter a little more difficult.
- Trim it up – keeping your ends trimmed during harsh winter months is a great idea for maintaining health and growth. Avoid the need for a “new look” in spring because of months of damage and neglect.
- Wet hair is a no no – Your mother has told you not to go outside with wet hair – winter is not the time to disobey. In places with below freezing temperatures wet hair could actually freeze and break off.
- Stay hydrated – your body needs hydration all the time no matter what the season. Keeping your insides properly hydrated is great for your hair as well.
- Oil it – dry hair is a bummer, dry hair in the winter is a double bummer. Find a natural oil that will keep your strands moisturized without weighing them down.
- Skip on the heat – heated appliances can be very drying any time of year. If your goal is to not have excessively dry hair during the winter keep blow drying, flat ironing and other heated treatments to a minimum.
- Avoid chemicals – chemically treating your hair is not a sin. During the winter chemical processes can be harsh especially if they are peroxide heavy. Pay close attention to the ingredients in your chemical treatments to avoid having dry hair.
- Less brushing – dry hair during the winter can become very brittle. Excessive brushing can damage dry, brittle hair. Avoid unwanted damage by using a wide-tooth comb for detangling.
- Protective styling – buns, updos, ponytails or braids are great styles for winter. Keep your hair protected from tangling (turtlenecks should be called hair tanglers) by putting hair up during the winter. These styles also serve as a way to keep your hands, brushes, and heated appliances away from your hair.
Remember that the needs of our hair are as different as our personal needs. Adopting any or all of these tips during winter will help you win the battle against dry hair. Even if you don’t suffer from dry hair during the warmer months winter protection for hair is important.
Unlike most hair products, which make your hair look good temporarily, Essentious actually improves the health and condition of our hair over time. With each use, you will see improvement of your hair. It will become more manageable, smoother, shinier, stronger, and more hydrated. You will need less styling products to give your hair a sleek and lustrous look because your hair will naturally look healthy. Essentious Hair Care is a unique system that harnesses the power of nature to gently clean, condition and replenish protein and minerals lost through daily hair care practices. All are Essentious products are Aloe Vera based, pH balanced, and infused with vitamins, proteins, and natural extracts for healthy hair. Order Essentioustoday!